“Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these”
I publish my comic on those platforms and I usually don’t pay much attention to the exact hour for my posting schedule.
I post once a month so I just try to make sure I have my comic updated exactly on the first of the month across all platforms.
Having all of my updates on each site on one day of the month helps me keep everything organized and not confusing because if I have one site updating one day and another a different day I can get forgetful so I just do it all at once.
I also created my own website to post my webcomic on.
What I use to create my webcomic website is wordpress and a free plugin called Comic Easel.
WordPress it’s a free content management system and Comic Easel is a type of Comic page navigation plugin that I’ve used for years!
Who do I use to Host my Website
I’ve used a lot of different hosting companies since 2007 and I’d have to say that my favorite so far would have to be Dreamhost my current host!
The hosting plan that I use is their Unlimited Hosting package because I have multiple domain URL and sites that I want to build up.
Hosting my site on hosting sites like Dreamhost instead of Squarespace or Wix because I don’t mind the extra elbow grease that goes into managing the themes plugins or backend work.
My sister likes the conveniences that Squarespace and Wix offers since she doesn’t have a lot of website building experience and needs to pick where she puts her time and dealing with the backend of wordpress isn’t her vibe but it’s totally mine.
Another reason why I like self-hosting domains like Dreamhost is that it’s more budget friendly and better fit for my business model which is blogging and publishing my whole comic or artwork online.
With Dreamhost 3 year plan there prices are $7.95 monthly; with Squarespace it’s $12
Dreamhost $7.95 Unlimited Shared Package:
Numbers of multiple websites: Unlimited
- This is helpful for me because I have multiple sites that I am trying to build like my visual novel art portfolio site and my lifestyle cottagecore fashion blog. I don’t have to pay for multiple accounts just 1 account that will host all of my domain urls
Subdomains: Provided Unlimited
- This is if I want to create an add on site to my main site which is also a nice add on so I don’t have to go and order a whole new url but just build on the url domain names I already have
Email Account: Free
- I love not having to worry about buying an email address and I can have the email be my domain name like email@example.com
Site Storage: Unlimited
- Since I post a lot of webcomic pages I need a lot of storage space because images can get pretty big in size so that the quality can still show through online.
SSL Certificate: Pre-Installed
- I don’t have an ecommerce site but this SSL does help to reassure my readers to knowing that my site is safe and secure.
Money-Back Guarantee: 97 Day
With Squarespace $12 Personal package:
Numbers of websites: 1
- Each website has to be paid for separately so I have 3 website and I’d have to pay for 3 packages for each website according to the research I’ve done. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.
Subdomains: Not provided
- From my research it looks like you have to set up your subdomain with your domain provider were as with dreamiest it is provided and unlimited
Email Account: Not provided
- You will have to pay for your own email address with a different email provided.
Site Storage: Unknown
- I wasn’t able to find information on this but I did see that there are different limits for certain pages but I don’t have enough experience with them to give more detailed information on this I’m so sorry!
SSL Certificate: Pre-Installed
Money-Back Guarantee: 14 Day
With the way my site is built and what I use my site for I prefer just sticking to using Dreamhost.
I’d rather pay Dreamhost $7.95 mostly and add a little elbow grease to handling the backend of my site with my wordpress CMS than paying Squarespace $12 plus an additional cost for more domains and packages for that domain and email address.
This isn’t to say that one is better than the other but for me one fits me better than the other for my needs and budget and personal convenience.
What should you do next?
If you have any more questions feel free to leave a comment down below and I’d be happy to answer them!
As always don’t forget make sure above all else you’re prioritizing your happiness and enjoying your comic journey!
I’ve also published 4 Comic books and as of 2020 I’m currently working on my 5th published book! If you’d like to learn how to publish a Comic book in 3 steps then check out my blog post How to Publish a Comic book.